Aaj English TV

Tuesday, July 23, 2024  
17 Muharram 1446  

Punjab to provide solar panels to consumers using up to 500 units of electricity

Provincial government to share 90% cost of solar panels
Workers washing 300 KWP solar PV system after its installation at Nishtar Medical University and Hospital in Multan, on December 4, 2022. APP
Workers washing 300 KWP solar PV system after its installation at Nishtar Medical University and Hospital in Multan, on December 4, 2022. APP

The Punjab cabinet has approved the “Roshan Gharana” programme under which solar panels would be provided to consumers using up to 500 units of electricity.

Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz gave the approval to the scheme in a meeting on Monday. The provincial government “would cover 90 per cent of the cost of the solar panels, while the consumer would pay the remaining 10%,” according to a statement.

The solar panels would be provided to consumers on a five-year instalment plan. The instalment amount would be lower during the winter months when solar generation is lower.

This comes three days after the Punjab government announced a comprehensive plan to distribute free solar panels based on their electricity consumption and offer subsidised loans for solar installation.

According to the announcement made by her on July 5, consumers using up to 200 units of electricity per month would be provided free solar panels whereas consumers using between 200 to 500 units per month would be offered interest-free loans for solar panel installation.

Also, read this

Federal govt makes major announcement regarding solar panels in budget

No new duties to be imposed on solar panels

Budget 2024-25: Production of solar panels, inverters and batteries becomes cheaper

This initiative is being launched keeping in mind the high electricity costs and the ongoing energy crisis, it said and added that the poorest households would be prioritised for the solar system distribution.

“We will not leave the people alone in these difficult times,” said Punjab CM Maryam. She expressed confidence that in five years, people would no longer face the current problems.

For the latest news, follow us on Twitter @Aaj_Urdu. We are also on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Maryam Nawaz

punjab

solar energy

solar system

solar panels

solar

solar project

solar panel