87 Gaza aid flotilla activists begin hunger strike after Israeli abduction

Published 20 May, 2026 02:17pm 1 min read

At least 87 activists abducted by the militant Israeli army from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla have launched a hunger strike, according to a media report on Wednesday.

Organisers said the activists were protesting against their “illegal abduction” and to express solidarity with over 9,500 Palestinian detainees in Israeli custody.

The hunger strike follows the interception of the Lina Al Nabulsi, the final vessel in a convoy of more than 50 ships that departed from Turkiye’s port city of Marmaris last week.

The flotilla’s mission was to challenge Israel’s illegal blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Organisers said six people aboard the vessel were taken by Israeli forces late Tuesday.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that hundreds of flotilla participants are being transferred to Israeli vessels and taken to Israel.

A ministry spokesperson termed the flotilla “another PR stunt,” adding that the activists will have access to consular support.

The flotilla’s journey faced interception in international waters off the coast of Cyprus beginning Monday, during which Israeli forces raided vessels and fired bullets.

Among the detainees are nine Indonesian citizens, prompting calls from Indonesia for their immediate release and the use of all diplomatic and consular channels.

Fifteen Irish citizens, including Dr Margaret Connolly, sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, were also among those detained.

Read Comments