Pakistan hockey management rejects players’ allegations over Australia tour arrangements

Published 18 Feb, 2026 05:38pm 2 min read
Pakistan hockey team’s Head coach Tahir Zaman. - Photo courtesy social media
Pakistan hockey team’s Head coach Tahir Zaman. - Photo courtesy social media

The management of Pakistan’s national hockey team on Wednesday rejected allegations of poor accommodation and food arrangements during the squad’s tour of Australia for the second phase of the Pro Hockey League, saying the claims were ‘sensationalised’ and misrepresented.

Head coach Tahir Zaman, along with coaches Muhammad Usman and Zeeshan Ashraf, denied accusations made by Captain Ammad Shakeel Butt and other players regarding substandard facilities.

“There were excellent arrangements for accommodation and halal food,” Zaman said in a press conference at Lahore. “The accommodation provided in Australia was equivalent to a five-star hotel.”

Referring to a viral video showing a plate with leftover bones, Zaman said, “Such a video would have looked bad even in a seven-star hotel.”

He said the team had to wait for about six hours upon arrival in Sydney, during which members of the Pakistani community arranged food for the squad. “These matters were sensationalised and presented in the wrong way,” he said.

Coach also alleged prior instances of indiscipline within the team, including misbehaviour and violation of team rules.

He claimed inappropriate language had been used about former hockey player Shahbaz Ahmed Senior. “Even if they stay in a hotel, all the players wash their shirts themselves,” he added, noting that foreign coaches had also filed reports on certain players.

Usman said arrangements for the Australia tour were made in collaboration with the Pakistan Sports Board.

He said a cheque was received from the board on 29th Jan and the amount was transferred to his account on 3rd Feb.

The report on the second phase of the Pro Hockey League has been submitted to Tariq Bugti, president of the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), detailing the team’s performance and players’ behaviour.

Bugti has summoned the captain, players and team management to hear their positions on accommodation and other matters.

PHF officials said the president would consult his think tank and take action against those found responsible.

Players will also be questioned over the team’s poor performance, including conceding a high number of goals during the event.

Bugti and PHF Secretary Rana Mujahid are expected to announce decisions at a press conference after reviewing the situation.

For the latest news, follow us on Twitter @Aaj_Urdu. We are also on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.