Israel blocks aid into Gaza as ceasefire standoff escalates
Israel blocked the entry of aid trucks into Gaza on Sunday as a standoff over the truce that has halted fighting for the past six weeks escalated, with Hamas calling on Egyptian and Qatari mediators to intervene.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said earlier that it had adopted a proposal by US President Donald Trump’s envoy, Steve Witkoff, for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods, hours after the first phase of the previously agreed ceasefire expired.
If agreed, the truce would halt fighting until the end of the Ramazan fasting period around March 31 and the Jewish Passover holiday around April 20.
The truce would be conditional on Hamas releasing half of the living and dead hostages on the first day, with the remainder released at the conclusion if an agreement is reached on a permanent ceasefire.
Hamas says it is committed to the originally agreed ceasefire that had been scheduled to move into a second phase, with negotiations aimed at a permanent end to the war, and it has rejected the idea of a temporary extension to the 42-day truce.
Reflecting the fragility of the ceasefire deal, local health officials said Israeli gunfire had killed four Palestinians in separate attacks in the northern and southern Gaza Strip.
The Israeli military said that “suspects” were identified close to its troops in northern Gaza and that they had planted a bomb. It added that an airstrike was carried out to “eliminate the threat.”
Egyptian sources said on Friday that the Israeli delegation in Cairo had sought to extend the first phase by 42 days, while Hamas wanted to move to the second phase of the ceasefire deal.
Spokesman Hazem Qassem said on Saturday that the group rejected Israel’s “formulation” of extending the first phase.
In the first phase of the ceasefire, Hamas handed over 33 Israeli hostages, as well as five Thais returned in an unscheduled release, in exchange for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees from Israeli jails and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from some of their positions in Gaza.
Under the original agreement, the second phase was intended to see the start of negotiations over the release of the remaining 59 hostages, the full withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza, and an end to the war.
However, the talks never began, and Israel says all its hostages must be returned for fighting to stop.
Also, read this
Israeli captive Agam Berger says IDF bombings in Gaza terrified her
Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange
Pakistan, Saudi Arabia agree to convene OIC FMs meeting on Netanyahu’s comments
“Israel will not allow a ceasefire without the release of our hostages,” Netanyahu’s office said, announcing that the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip would be halted.
“If Hamas persists in its refusal, there will be additional consequences.”
Hamas has denounced Israel’s move as “blackmail” and a “blatant coup against the agreement”. “We call on mediators to pressure the occupation to fulfil its obligations under the agreement, in all its phases,” it said, adding that the only way to get the hostages back would be to adhere to the agreement and start talks for the second phase.
Commenting on the goods suspension, senior Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters the decision would impact the ceasefire talks, adding his group “doesn’t respond to pressures.”
Gaza’s civil defence agency, meanwhile, reported “artillery shelling and gunfire from Israeli tanks” east of Khan Yunis city, in the southern Gaza Strip.
Approached for comment, the Israeli army said it was “unaware of any artillery shelling in this area”.
The Palestine Red Crescent, however, reported one person killed in an Israeli drone strike in the area, and one more killed in another town nearby.
The army also said it had conducted an air strike in northern Gaza targeting suspects it said had “planted an explosive device” near its troops.
Gaza’s health ministry later reported at least four killed and six wounded in Israeli attacks on Sunday.
Later on Sunday, Israeli officials said a delegation would arrive in Cairo in an apparent move to discuss ways to defuse tensions and ensure the ceasefire remains in effect.
Standoff
Speaking at a news conference with his Croatian counterpart, Israel’s Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said Palestinians in Gaza would not get goods for free and further negotiations should be linked to the release of the hostages.
He said the United States “understands” Israel’s decision to halt the entry of goods into Gaza, blaming Hamas for the current stalemate in the talks.
Over the past six weeks, both sides have accused the other of breaching the agreement. But despite repeated hiccups, it has remained in place while the hostage-for-prisoner exchange envisaged in the first phase was completed.
But there are wide gaps on key areas regarding a permanent end to the war, including what form a postwar administration of Gaza would take and what future there would be for Hamas, which triggered Israel’s invasion of Gaza with its attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023.
The attack killed 1,200 people, the worst one-day loss of life in Israel’s history, and saw 251 people taken into Gaza as hostages.
The Israeli campaign has killed more than 48,000 Palestinians, displaced almost all of its 2.3 million population and left Gaza a wasteland.
For the latest news, follow us on Twitter @Aaj_Urdu. We are also on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Comments are closed on this story.