16 killed, 30 injured in blast targeting train in Quetta
2 min readAt least 16 passengers were killed and 30 others injured in a powerful explosion near Chaman railway crossing in Quetta on Sunday, police said.
According to initial reports, the blast targeted a passenger train as it was passing near the railway track.
Police said preliminary investigations suggest the explosion was a suicide attack.
The force of the blast derailed the train and triggered a fire near the railway track, officials said.
Fire brigade teams later brought the blaze under control.
Rescue sources said eight bodies had been shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta, while emergency services continued relief operations at the site.
Police said intense firing was reported in the area following the explosion, while security forces and rescue teams were immediately dispatched to the scene.
The sound of the blast was heard across the city, according to police officials.
The blast was so powerful that it shattered the doors and windows of nearby buildings, including Shehbaz Town.
At least four vehicles were also damaged in the blast.
Authorities imposed an emergency at all government hospitals in Quetta and summoned all medical staff on an urgent basis.
Balochistan chief minister’s special assistant for interior Babar Yousafzai said all relevant institutions had been placed on alert and urged the public to avoid gathering near the site of the incident.
“As soon as more details emerge, the media will be informed,” Yousafzai said.
Railway officials said Jaffar Express, bound for Peshawar, was stopped at Quetta Railway Station following the explosion.
For the latest news, follow us on Twitter @Aaj_Urdu. We are also on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.




















