<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/" xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Aaj TV English News - Sports</title>
    <link>https://english.aaj.tv/</link>
    <description>Aaj TV English</description>
    <language>en-Us</language>
    <copyright>Copyright 2026</copyright>
    <pubDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 16:47:57 +0500</pubDate>
    <lastBuildDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 16:47:57 +0500</lastBuildDate>
    <ttl>60</ttl>
    <item xmlns:default="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
      <title>DR Congo stick to pre-World Cup plan to meet Denmark, Chile in friendlies</title>
      <link>https://english.aaj.tv/news/330459460/dr-congo-stick-to-pre-world-cup-plan-to-meet-denmark-chile-in-friendlies</link>
      <description>&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;The Democratic Republic of Congo have no plans to change their warm-up preparations for the World Cup despite a warning from the United States that the team must isolate for 21 days before ​arriving in the country, a team official said on Saturday.&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Andrew Giuliani, executive director of ‌the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed to ESPN on Friday that the Congolese delegation needed to maintain a bubble where they are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry ​after a deadly outbreak of the Ebola virus in the central African country.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The Congolese team ​are to be based in Houston at the tournament and will play an opening ⁠Group K fixture against Portugal on June 17, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 ​in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;“We’ve been very clear to Congo that ​they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble, ​or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any ​clearer.”&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;But a team spokesperson said that at this stage there was no change to their schedule in the coming weeks, which ‌includes ⁠a friendly against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and another against Chile in Cadiz, Spain, six days later.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The team had planned a &lt;a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/dr-congo-forced-change-world-cup-preparations-due-ebola-outbreak-2026-05-21/"&gt;three-day trip to Kinshasa&lt;/a&gt; next week as a celebratory send-off before heading to their first World Cup in 52 years but that was cancelled before the US warning.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;“We have ​kept our training programme. ​No player in the ⁠squad has come from DR Congo,” the official said.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;“The friendly matches are still scheduled. The only modification to the programme has been the cancellation of ​the Kinshasa leg.”&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The entire squad of players are based outside the DR Congo, ​mostly in ⁠Europe, including coach Sebastien Desabre.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;A few team officials arrived at the training camp in Belgium from the DRC earlier this week.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The World Health Organisation on Friday raised to “very high” the risk of the rare Bundibugyo ⁠strain of ​Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the DRC and ​has declared the outbreak there and in neighbouring Uganda an emergency of international concern.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths ​have been recorded following the outbreak in DRC.&lt;/p&gt;
</description>
      <content:encoded xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"><![CDATA[<p><strong>The Democratic Republic of Congo have no plans to change their warm-up preparations for the World Cup despite a warning from the United States that the team must isolate for 21 days before ​arriving in the country, a team official said on Saturday.</strong></p>
<p>Andrew Giuliani, executive director of ‌the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed to ESPN on Friday that the Congolese delegation needed to maintain a bubble where they are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry ​after a deadly outbreak of the Ebola virus in the central African country.</p>
<p>The Congolese team ​are to be based in Houston at the tournament and will play an opening ⁠Group K fixture against Portugal on June 17, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 ​in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.</p>
<p>“We’ve been very clear to Congo that ​they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said.</p>
<p>“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble, ​or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any ​clearer.”</p>
<p>But a team spokesperson said that at this stage there was no change to their schedule in the coming weeks, which ‌includes ⁠a friendly against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and another against Chile in Cadiz, Spain, six days later.</p>
<p>The team had planned a <a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/dr-congo-forced-change-world-cup-preparations-due-ebola-outbreak-2026-05-21/">three-day trip to Kinshasa</a> next week as a celebratory send-off before heading to their first World Cup in 52 years but that was cancelled before the US warning.</p>
<p>“We have ​kept our training programme. ​No player in the ⁠squad has come from DR Congo,” the official said.</p>
<p>“The friendly matches are still scheduled. The only modification to the programme has been the cancellation of ​the Kinshasa leg.”</p>
<p>The entire squad of players are based outside the DR Congo, ​mostly in ⁠Europe, including coach Sebastien Desabre.</p>
<p>A few team officials arrived at the training camp in Belgium from the DRC earlier this week.</p>
<p>The World Health Organisation on Friday raised to “very high” the risk of the rare Bundibugyo ⁠strain of ​Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the DRC and ​has declared the outbreak there and in neighbouring Uganda an emergency of international concern.</p>
<p>Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths ​have been recorded following the outbreak in DRC.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
      <category>Sports</category>
      <guid>https://english.aaj.tv/news/330459460</guid>
      <pubDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 14:40:03 +0500</pubDate>
      <author>none@none.com (Reuters)</author>
      <media:content url="https://i.aaj.tv/large/2026/05/241437410f04dfb.webp" type="image/webp" medium="image" height="480" width="800">
        <media:thumbnail url="https://i.aaj.tv/thumbnail/2026/05/241437410f04dfb.webp"/>
        <media:title>The FIFA World Cup 2026 trophy. -- Reuters</media:title>
      </media:content>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
