<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/" xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Aaj TV English News - World</title>
    <link>https://english.aaj.tv/</link>
    <description>Aaj TV English</description>
    <language>en-Us</language>
    <copyright>Copyright 2026</copyright>
    <pubDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 11:15:50 +0500</pubDate>
    <lastBuildDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 11:15:50 +0500</lastBuildDate>
    <ttl>60</ttl>
    <item xmlns:default="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
      <title>China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82</title>
      <link>https://english.aaj.tv/news/330459449/china-lowers-death-toll-in-shanxi-coal-mine-disaster-to-82</link>
      <description>&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;The chaos in the aftermath of China’s worst mine disaster in 17 years led to a revision in the death toll to 82 ​killed, local officials said at a press conference late on Saturday.&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The ‌people &lt;a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/china/four-dead-90-trapped-north-china-coal-mine-accident-xinhua-reports-2026-05-22/"&gt;died&lt;/a&gt; in a gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s northern province of Shanxi late on Friday.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Initially, state media reports said at least 90 people were killed.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Even ​at the lower number, the incident remains China’s deadliest &lt;a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/china/some-chinas-deadliest-coal-mine-accidents-2026-05-23/"&gt;mining accident&lt;/a&gt; since 2009, ​when a gas explosion at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang province ⁠killed 108 people.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Local officials said at the press conference that the initial death ​toll from state media had been tallied in error.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;“After the incident, the scene was ​chaotic, the company’s count of the number of workers was not clear, which led to the initial inaccurate number,” Guo Xiaofang, the head of Shanxi’s Qinyuan county, where the mine ​is located, said.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;There were 247 workers on duty underground at the time of ​the explosion.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;Two people remained unaccounted for, Guo said, while 128 were injured and hospitalised, and ‌35 ⁠were uninjured.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The Liushenyu mine is owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group, and all four of its mines have been closed and company executives detained, local officials said at the news conference.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;State-run newspaper the &lt;em&gt;People’s Daily&lt;/em&gt; published an editorial on ​the accident on ​its front page ⁠on Sunday morning, calling for greater attention to safety in production and to “completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over ​safety.”&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;President Xi Jinping on Saturday had called for authorities to “spare ​no effort” ⁠in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, according to Xinhua.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;He also ordered an investigation into the incident.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;The mine has a production capacity of ⁠1.2 million ​tons of coal per year, officials said at the ​press conference.&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;China last year mined 4.83 billion tons of the fuel, which forms the backbone ​of its power sector.&lt;/p&gt;
</description>
      <content:encoded xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"><![CDATA[<p><strong>The chaos in the aftermath of China’s worst mine disaster in 17 years led to a revision in the death toll to 82 ​killed, local officials said at a press conference late on Saturday.</strong></p>
<p>The ‌people <a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/china/four-dead-90-trapped-north-china-coal-mine-accident-xinhua-reports-2026-05-22/">died</a> in a gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s northern province of Shanxi late on Friday.</p>
<p>Initially, state media reports said at least 90 people were killed.</p>
<p>Even ​at the lower number, the incident remains China’s deadliest <a rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="link--external" href="https://www.reuters.com/world/china/some-chinas-deadliest-coal-mine-accidents-2026-05-23/">mining accident</a> since 2009, ​when a gas explosion at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang province ⁠killed 108 people.</p>
<p>Local officials said at the press conference that the initial death ​toll from state media had been tallied in error.</p>
<p>“After the incident, the scene was ​chaotic, the company’s count of the number of workers was not clear, which led to the initial inaccurate number,” Guo Xiaofang, the head of Shanxi’s Qinyuan county, where the mine ​is located, said.</p>
<p>There were 247 workers on duty underground at the time of ​the explosion.</p>
<p>Two people remained unaccounted for, Guo said, while 128 were injured and hospitalised, and ‌35 ⁠were uninjured.</p>
<p>The Liushenyu mine is owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group, and all four of its mines have been closed and company executives detained, local officials said at the news conference.</p>
<p>State-run newspaper the <em>People’s Daily</em> published an editorial on ​the accident on ​its front page ⁠on Sunday morning, calling for greater attention to safety in production and to “completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over ​safety.”</p>
<p>President Xi Jinping on Saturday had called for authorities to “spare ​no effort” ⁠in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, according to Xinhua.</p>
<p>He also ordered an investigation into the incident.</p>
<p>The mine has a production capacity of ⁠1.2 million ​tons of coal per year, officials said at the ​press conference.</p>
<p>China last year mined 4.83 billion tons of the fuel, which forms the backbone ​of its power sector.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
      <category>World</category>
      <guid>https://english.aaj.tv/news/330459449</guid>
      <pubDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 09:23:48 +0500</pubDate>
      <author>none@none.com (Reuters)</author>
      <media:content url="https://i.aaj.tv/large/2026/05/240920342095550.webp" type="image/webp" medium="image" height="480" width="800">
        <media:thumbnail url="https://i.aaj.tv/thumbnail/2026/05/240920342095550.webp"/>
        <media:title>Rescuers work following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China. -- Reuters</media:title>
      </media:content>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
